Newsletter February 10
We are pleased to welcome Rosemary Hamer and Eva Huezo to our team in Sydney!
ITB Berlin 2010
- All three Managing Directors of our three APTC branches in Australia (Stéphanie Karst-McGrath), Fiji (Monika Oldenburg) and New Zealand (Stephan Wendler) will attend this year’s ITB in Berlin
- The world’s largest Travel Trade Show will be held on 10 until 14 March 2010.
Product of the Month
Travelodge Docklands in Melbourne
Toga Hospitality will open a new Travelodge Hotel for Melbourne named Travelodge Docklands. It opens its doors on the 22nd of February 2010. The multi-million dollar Travelodge Docklands is Toga Hospitality’s first new build for Melbourne under the Travelodge banner. There are now 16 Travelodge Hotels situated in iconic locations across Australia and New Zealand. The new addition means the Toga Hospitality portfolio presently contains a total of 51 hotels.
Located on Aurora Lane in the new Docklands waterfront precinct in the heart of the Melbourne, Travelodge Docklands is close to everything and will have 290 guest rooms. The rooms are comfortable equipped with air conditioning, bathroom, kitchenette with microwave, tea & coffee making facilities, LCD TV and radio, Foxtel & in-room movies, broadband, work desk, voicemail and electronic security lock. 24 hour reception is provided as well as onsite laundry and dry cleaning.
The new Travelodge Docklands presents an ideal location for conferences and business travellers, offering meeting room facilities and two conference rooms with capacity for up to 90 people when arranged in theatre-style. The hotel is the perfect base for guests to explore all of Melbourne’s attractions including the MCG, Crown Casino, Melbourne Aquarium, Rod Laver Arena and the Melbourne Exhibition Centre. The hotel also provides fabulous public transport options with Southern Cross Station located adjacent to Docklands and the Melbourne International Airport just 20 minutes away. Melbourne is a vibrant and colourful city, a perfect destination to experience some of Australia’s premier events, shopping and culture. Whether it’s for a business trip or leisure the Travelodge offers comfort and quality for the smart traveller.
Toga Hospitality proudly operates and manages Medina Apartment Hotels, Vibe Hotels in Australia and Travelodge Hotels in Australia and New Zealand. Toga Hospitality also manages and operates the Adina Apartment Hotels in Europe.
APTC can offer a special opening rate - valid for travel until 31 August 2010, subject to availability. Please contact our team for your special rates, or visit iCom!
- Accor has recently opened the following properties:
- Mercure Sydney Liverpool
- All Seasons Albury Lake Hume Resort
- Novotel Sydney Rooty Hill
- Effective 18th of January 2010 the flight from Dunk Island to Cairns was rescheduled from 9:45am to 9am
- The modified flight time will allow guests more time to catch their international and domestic connection flights
- Effective 1st February 2010 Fantasea Cruise will no longer service Daydream Island.
- Cruise Whitsundays will operate this service exclusively
- The sale of Voyages Brampton Island is scheduled to be completed on the 15th of February 2010
- Thebusiness will be operated by United Holidays, an Australian-owned company and the resort known as Brampton Island Resort.
- Spicers Retreats, Hotels and Lodges announce the addition of two of Queensland’s leading boutique retreats to its portfolio - Spicers Peak Lodge and Hidden Vale.
- Formerly run by luxury accommodation operator, Peppers, Spicers Peak Lodge and Hidden Vale join other properties owned by Flight Centre boss Graham ‘Skroo’ Turner and his wife Jude under the Spicers Retreats, Hotels and Lodges banner from February 1 2010.
- The Spicer Peak Lodge is located in the heart of the spectacular Scenic Rim region, two hours south west of Brisbane and just a little more from the Gold Coast. This lovely hotel offers a world class fine dining restaurant with an extensive wine list and a daily changing menu.
- Situated on a 12,000 acre working cattle station in the Scenic Rim of South East Queensland country just an hour’s drive from Brisbane and the Gold Coast, Spicers Hidden Vale offers an exclusive Outback Australian accommodation getaway. Spicers Hidden Vale SE Queensland Country offers boutique hotel accommodation centred around an historic homestead.
More News about Spicers Retreats:
Spicers Clovelly Estate in Sunshine Coast hinterland
- This intimate and exclusive accommodation just opened in 2009 and is the first of the ‘Spicers’ chain.
- Spicers Clovelly Estate offers a fine dining restaurant, spa facilities and beautiful gardens on 9 hectares of nature and wildlife
Spicers Canopy in South East Queensland
- Spicers Canopy opened in May 2009.
- Together with Hidden Peak and Spicers Peak there are guided bushwalks with a gourmet flair offered
- 3 - 4 days guided walks in Main Range National Park, gourmet meals prepared by the guides
- Expert guides share their knowledge and well appointed semi-permanent tents are provided.
Spicers Balfour Hotel
- Another luxury hotel of ‘Spicers in the City’ will open in early 2010: Spicer Balfour Hotel in Brisbane
- 9 spacious rooms in contemporary European design
- Rooftop bar with city and Story Bridge views
- Nearby Day spas and boutique shopping facilities
Spicers Tamarind Hotel
- Spicers Tamarind Hotel of ‘Spicers in the Forest’ will open in early 2010 in the Sunshine Coast hinterland
- It is a lush rainforest setting with stunning gardens
- The hotel provides individual private cottages, restaurant, Thai Cooking school, conference facilities for up to 40 persons as well as wedding location.
Quay West Resort & Spa Noosa
- Scheduled to open on the 18th March 2010
- Located just 3 minutes drive from exclusive Hastings Street; Quay West Resort & Spa Noosa is just 2 hours drive north of Brisbane and 25kms from Maroochydore Airport.
- Quay West Resort & Spa Noosa offers world class leisure facilities including a luxurious Mii Spa Day Spa.
Fantasea Adventure Cruising
- New “Fantasea Express” service operating from Abel Point Marina to Hamilton Island daily
- meeting flight arrivals and departures
- operation started on the 1st February 2010 - see opening special under “specials”
- With new and improved direct services to both Hamilton Island and Airlie Beach the current timetable will no longer be valid after 31st January
- From the 1st of February Fantasea Adventure Cruising will no longer be servicing Daydream Island
- The 3 Island Whitehaven Beach experience which incorporated Daydream Island, Hamilton Island & Whitehaven Beach also ceased tooperate from the 1st of February
- Sunbus Melbourne will increase the price due to higher parking and handling costs at Melbourne airport.
- The increased prices are valid for all bookings from 1st February 2010
- The Travelodge Dockland will open on 22 February 2010.
- The hotel has 290 guest rooms and is located in the new Docklands Waterfront precinct.
- The near Southern Cross station offers excellent public transport connection to the airport.
- Conference facilities for up to 90 people are also available
Bonza Bike Tours now in Melbourne
- Bonza Bike Tours, Australia’s active, and environmentally friendly tourist experience, has opened its second location in Melbourne this year.
- After Sydney, Bonza will take its proven model of city-based bicycle tours to a new city.
- Bonza Bike Tours will offer two tours in Melbourne - The Melbourne Classic Tour of 4 hours and The Yarra River Ride of 5 hours.
- Tours run daily and explore the history and culture of Melbourne, from internationally famous sights to quiet neighbourhood hideaways.
Citadines Melbourne on Bourke
- On the 1st July 2010, Ascott will be opening the first Citadines in Australia: Citadines Melbourne on Bourke in Melbourne.
- This property will be largest for the brand with 380 rooms. Located at the heart of the CBD at 131-135 Bourke Street, Citadines Melbourne on Bourke is within walking distance to public transport including trains, trams and buses and is well-served by amenities like restaurants, cafes, cinemas, high-end shopping malls as well as parks and gardens.
- Opening special see under “Specials”
V8 Supercars race
- The V8 supercars race have been rescheduled one week from November 5-7 to November 12-14.
- Reason for this change is that it overlapped with the Melbourne Cup Horse Racing event
New South Wales
Wildlife World Darling Harbour
- One of the worlds biggest Crocodile “Rex” can be seen from now on in Darling Harbour at the Wildlife World
- It weighs more than a small car and measures just under 5 meters lengths
Spicers Wineyard Estate
- This 5 star guest house just opened in 2009 in Hunter Valley
- It provides a private Vineyard, nice mountain views, restaurant, natural bush swimmingpool and outdoor spa as well a tennis court and a 9 hole short Golf Course
Monkey Mia Dolphin Resort
- Monkey Mia welcomes another new addition with baby Khamun being born on 27th December 2009, the second arrival within two weeks.
- Khamun brings the total number of dolphins that regularly visit Monkey Mia to 15 which is the largest number recorded since changes to the dolphin management regime in 1995.
- Bedarra Island offers free flight with certain package plans.
- Sale Dates: 05/01/10 - 31/05/10 - Travel Dates: 05/01/10 - 30/06/10
- For further information please contact APTC office directly
Hayman Island Resort
- Hayman Island Resort offers a “stay an extra night” special which provides a fourth night free for people who plan to stay three nights
- The offer is valid until 31 March 2010
Spirit of Freedom
- Spirit of Freedom Cruises offer special discounts for the second person on following cruises departing between February and April
- Day Cod Hole &Ribbon Reefs:01 MAR /22 MAR /26 APR 2010
- 7 Day Cod Hole &Coral Sea:05 APR &26 APR 2010
- The offer applies to new bookings only
Paradise Resort Gold Coast
- Paradise Resort Gold Coast offers a “kids stay and play” for free which includes free zone for kids seasons daily.
- Guests who stay at least 2 nights also receive a gift voucher for Myer stores.
- Valid for travel between 24 January and 31 July 2010
Thala Beach Lodge
- Thala Beach Lodge provides a free upgrade to one of the stunning Eucalypt Bungalows by booking a jungle Walk Bungalow
- Valid for travel between now and 30 April 2010
Fantasea Adventure Cruising
- New Fantasea Express servicewith a special opening fare from Abel Point Marina to Hamilton Island Airport
- Valid for sale and travel until 31 March 2010
- With this fare guests will be transferred by coach from their hotel accommodation in Airlie Beach to Abel Point Marina for their Fantasea Express transfer to the Hamilton Island Airport.
- Extension of the MEALS offer for Brampton Island for January - March 2010
- Valid for sale and travel until 31 March 2010 - Subject to availability at the time of booking
- Minimum night stay: 4
Devere Hotel Sydney
- Devere Hotel Sydney has extended their Early Bird special with reduced room rates
- The special is valid until 30 September 2010
- Blockout dates apply
Wolgan Valley Resort
- Wolgan Valley Resort is offering a special 2 night package which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner and all non-alcoholic beverages as well as two outdoor activities per day and a 60 minutes spa treatment
- The special offer is valid from 15th January to 30th April 2010
Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney
- Have released some special group rates.
- Conditions: Valid 1st March 2010 - 30th September 2010; maximum of 15 rooms; not combinable with any other offer
- For rates and further information please contact our office
Quay Grand Suites Sydney
- Rates now extended for stays 1st March 2010! The Low Season rates are nowvalid immediately for sale & travel
- Bookings validity1 February2010 - 30September 2010
- Quamby Estate in Launceston offers a stay 3 pay 2 deal.
- Valid for bookings between January and March 2010
- Valid for travel between January and June 2010
Citadines Melbourne on Bourke
- Opening special for Studio Deluxe room only for bookings from NOW for 01 July to 30 September, please contact our office for further information.
Ayers Rock Resort
- Ayers Rock Resort is offering a stay 3 pay 2 deal
- Valid for travel between 1 July 2010 and 30 November 2010
- Room Type Exclusions:
- Sails in the Desert - Deluxe Suite
- Outback Pioneer Hotel - Budget and Dorm Rooms
Changes & Refurbishment
Sea World Resort
- Sea World Resort will receive a multi-million dollar refurbishment
- The refurbishment will be done in 120 rooms in the resort and is due to be completed in December 2010
Ocean Spirit Cruises
- Ocean Spirit Cruises advises that they will be cancelling the operation of Rum Runner Cape Tribulation until the 30th April 2010
Kingfisher Bay Resort
- As of 1st of February all transfers to Kingfisher Bay Resort depart from River Heads
- A new timetable will also be in effect
- Kingfisher Bay Resort will continue to operate a courtesy transfer from Urangan Harbour and Hervey Bay.
- For further information please contact our office directly
Peppers Coral Coast - Airlie Beach
- Due to necessary maintenance works in replacing the pool lining it is required that the pool be closed off from the 15th February 2010 for 3 weeks.
- The property will be offering guests courtesy shuttle runs into the main centre of town located near the lagoon.
New South Wales
- Refurbishment on King Spa Suiteis currently undergoing and the completion date has been postponed by the contracted builder.
- There are 8 King Spa Suite in the Hotel, and 4 of them have already been refurbished.
- Refurbishment on the rest of King Spa Suites is expected to be completed by end of February.
- Refurbishment work is being carried out from 09:00 to17:00 on weekdays
- Minimal disruptionis expected
- The new Suites will be called Executive King Suites
Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort & Spa
- Orient-Express Hotels confirmed that the sale and purchase agreement to sell Lilianfels Blue Mountains, its 85 key hotel in Katoomba, New South Wales, Australia was completed on January 29.
- The purchaser, a local operator already owning and managing Echo’s Boutique Hotel formally took over the ownership and management.